Colorado School of Mines Personal Home Page Policy
Creation of a personal web page on CSM servers and publication of web pages through the campus network is a
privilege that requires adherence to CSM computer usage policies. As a condition of publishing web pages via any
CSM computing or network resource, we may require the removal or modification of material which is in conflict
with the standards and guidelines in CSM policies. If you wish to publish material that does not meet CSM
standards, you should contract with a commercial Internet Service Provider.
The Colorado School of Mines is not responsible for any material that is published on, or may be reached via links
from, personal home pages within the Mines.EDU domain, nor is it responsible for any use that is made of personal
home page material, or material reached via personal home pages. Individuals are responsible for maintaining their
personal web pages, and are responsible for content, errors, or omissions in them.
Each individual must provide a suitably labeled link from their home page to the official CSM disclaimer
pertaining to personal home pages located at http://ccit.mines.edu/PH-Disclaimer.
Example: READ THIS DISCLAIMER
The appropriateness of material made available via a home page will be judged by the application of standards
applicable to the CSM community. The administration of Colorado School of Mines is the final authority on
inappropriate material. Inappropriate material includes but is not limited to:
1. Any material intended for business use or to generate personal financial gain.
2. Commercial advertising of any kind, including banner ads in exchange for free services such as web
3. Any information that violates CSM policies, software licensing agreements, contractual agreements, copyright,
or any local, state or federal law
4. Information that could be used to compromise the security or availability of CSM resources
5. Information that teaches or demonstrates to others how to compromise security
6. Material that provides information about how to commit any criminal or illegal act
7. Information that compromises the personal privacy of other people
8. Material that may be deemed offensive as judged by the CSM administration
9. Any misleading labeling of material or links
10. The portrayal of any material as officially representing or sanctioned by CSM without proper authorization
Disk space for personal home pages is limited. Pages are monitored periodically. If your files are found to consume
excessive disk space or access to your pages causes excessive network activity, a member of the Computing Center
staff will contact you to determine the appropriate course of action. In all cases, however, we will take concrete
steps to protect resources and the rights of other users. If your personal home page becomes inactive, as determined
by CSM, it will be removed.
Penalties: Intentional, repeated or egregious violations of these policies will result in the loss of your personal home
page. If appropriate, sanctions or disciplinary action may be imposed as provided for in the Computing &
Networking Resource and Responsible Use Policies and Guidelines.
Revised November 13, 2009