Apply To CoRE Now
- Are you passionate about geology?
- Was field camp the best 6 weeks of your life?
- Do you get crabby if you have to spend too much time indoors?
- Do your friends dislike hiking with you because you're always stopping to look at rocks?
- Do you thrive in collaborative team environments?
- Do you have the fortitude to complete a graduate degree and collaborate with industry colleagues?
If you answered yes to many of these questions, we'd like to see your application! APPLY NOW
Admission to CoRE:
We're highly selective - we're a small team and we're looking for new students who are the best fit for our team & the program. What makes the best fit you ask? It's a combination of things, such as (in no particular order):
- Grades -- Did you work hard in school?
- Test Scores - How do you measure up?
- Work Experience - Have you worked anywhere, doing anything? Have you worked in Oil & Gas?
- Roundness - Are you well rounded? Do you have interests outside of geology that would make you an interesting person to spend lots of time with?
- Self Awareness - Do you know who you are? Particularly in relation to other people? Or do you have the skills to find out?
- Fortitude (I know, this is the second time this word appears on the page. CoRE isn't for the faint of heart.) - Do you have what it takes to:
Master your coursework?
Collaborate with your fellow CoRE team members?
Attend course field trips?
Actively participate in workshops with our Chevron colleagues?
Make sandwiches for 15 people out of a cooler in the shade of an outcrop?
Prepare and defend your thesis/dissertation proposal?
All in the same week....
So, that's a lot to ask of someone, right? You're wondering "What's in it for me?"
Here's what to expect:
- A tremendous learning experience
- Honed, creative, and critical thinking skills
- The opportunity to begin your research on day 1
- Interaction with industry researchers in ways few graduate programs are able to offer
- Collaboration with others in a passionate and dynamic environment
- Your research in print -- "Look Ma, I'm first author on the paper...and the journal put my photo on the cover!"
- Regular meetings with your faculty advisor
- Your degree in a reasonable amount of time: CoRE M.S. students typically complete their degree in 2-2.5 years and CoRE Ph.D. students typically complete their degree in 3.5 years.
- Graduate student stipend
- Paid tuition, fees, & health insurance
- Assistance with your fieldwork costs/External research grants
Still interested? APPLY NOW
Have question about graduate school at the Colorado School of Mines? Contact the Office of Graduate Studies
An important note: We won't have access to your applicaiton until it is complete. Get 'er done.
This won't be the last time in your life deadlines are important.
Have a question about the status of your submitted application: Contact the Office of Graduate Studies